The EU4Climate project’s final workshop will take place on November 16th, 2023 in Brussels. The workshop aims to review the initiative’s accomplishments and contributions to the renewed climate policy agenda of the Eastern Partnership countries.
Gerald Audaz, Team Leader for Economic Development, Connectivity, and the Green Transition in Eastern Partnership countries (DG NEAR)
Fabien Porcher, Policy Officer for climate negotiations at the European Commission (DG CLIMA)
Laura Altinger, Regional Team Leader for Nature Climate Energy, Europe and CIS region (UNDP IRH).
A panel discussion titled “Raising Climate Ambitions in Eastern Partnership Countries” will feature senior officials from the governments of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova, and Ukraine. The discussion will focus on each country’s evolving climate agenda and priorities for its implementation, as well as the importance of international cooperation in advancing policy action and investment links.
Results and value of EU4Climate: Strategic planning for climate action – this session will give an overview of the second NDCs, Long-Term Strategies (LTS), and finance plans created for the Eastern Partnership countries under EU4Climate.
- EU4Climate experience with developing NDCs and LTS. Finance and implementation plans as instruments for implementing the national climate strategies (Elisabeth Kampel, International consultant; Andreas Biermann, International consultant)
- National Adaptation Strategy of Ukraine (Mykhailo Chyzhenko, Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine)
- The second NDC of Moldova (Andrei Cucos, Ministry of Environment of Moldova)
- Low Emissions Development Strategy of Georgia (Maia Javakhishvili, Ministry of Environmental Protection and Agriculture of Georgia)
- The updated NDC of Azerbaijan and recommendations for mainstreaming gender in the energy sector of Azerbaijan (Nazim Mammadov, UNDP)
- Key elements of the draft LT-LEDS of Armenia (TBC, Ministry of Environment of Armenia)
Results and value of EU4Climate: Enhancing legal alignment and raising capacity – during this session, participants will discuss EU climate policies implemented with EU4Climate and steps to enhance legal alignment in Eastern Partnership countries:
- The current status of legal alignment in Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine and further steps (Svitlana Karpyshyna, Energy Community Secretariat)
- Recommendations for legal alignment for Armenia and Azerbaijan (Maria Purzner, Environment Agency Austria)
- The Air Quality Law of Armenia, draft Climate Law of Armenia (TBC, Ministry of Environment of Armenia)
- The Law of Moldova on Fluorinated Gases (Andrei Cucos, Ministry of Environment of Moldova)
The workshop will share conclusions and ways forward, with a statement by DG NEAR followed by a tour de table involving EaP countries and civil society.
EU4Climate helps governments in the six EU Eastern Partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova, and Ukraine) to take action against climate change and towards a low-emissions and climate-resilient economy. Funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by UNDP, EU4Climate supports countries in implementing the Paris Agreement and improving climate policies and legislation with an ambition of limiting climate change impact on citizens’ lives and making them more resilient to it.